RESOLUTION 8-16-2016 - Conditional Approval of Charter Application for Milestone Charter School
RESOLUTION OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION
DOUGLAS COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT RE-1
Conditional Approval of the Charter Application of
Milestone Academy Charter School
WHEREAS, on March 15, 2016, the Board of Education ("Board ") of the Douglas County School District RE-1 ("District") received a charter school application from the founding board of Milestone Academy Charter School, a proposed Colorado nonprofit K-12 charter school, ("Applicant"), for the establishment of Milestone Academy Charter School ("Milestone ") as a district charter school; and
WHEREAS, on May 10, 2016, the Board granted approval of the Milestone application for Milestone to begin operations as a district charter school in the fall of 2017 for the 2017-2018 school year, and to operate for a term of five (5) years, subject to and pending satisfaction of several conditions outlined below; and
WHEREAS, the Board recognizes the demand for and the value of choice school offerings in Douglas County School District RE-1 , and
WHEREAS, the Board acknowledges the hard work on the part of the organizers of Milestone, and seeks to promote a healthy balance among expanding choice options, a focus on the best interest of students, and required fiscal soundness and accountability.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Board that the charter school application submitted by Milestone is conditionally granted, subject to and pending satisfaction of the following conditions, as well as all other terms and conditions as may be required by law:
- Milestone will submit to DCSD staff an education management organization contract for DCSD review and comment by June 1, 2016;
- By November 1, 2016, the Applicant shall provide evidence to the district of a minimum of 500 written expressions of intent to enroll encompassing grades K-6 and 200 written expressions of intent to enroll encompassing grades 9-10, including information as to those students' current schools of attendance;
- By January 5, 2017, the Applicant shall have a minimum of 481 full-time equivalent students (Student FTEs) committed to the various grade levels proposed in the charter school application to be served the first year, as validated by the District's open enrollment process, and enrolled in Milestone as soon as practicable;
- Milestone shall submit to district staff on or before February 15, 2017, a location lease or purchase agreement and an approved traffic plan for an appropriate charter school facility available for use on or before August 15, 2017;
- Milestone shall present a detailed budget for fiscal year 2017-2018, as well as a projected budget for the fiscal years of 2017-2022 to be approved by the District's Chief Financial Officer on or before April 1, 2017;
- Milestone will hire a school leader/principal on or before March 1, 2017
Unless otherwise stated above or subsequently agreed by the Board, in the event that Conditions l through 6 above have not been satisfied by the dates indicated, this conditional approval will be withdrawn and the application will be deemed denied. In no event shall denial for failure of any condition or withdrawal of conditional approval be construed as a revocation of the purported Milestone charter or school contract.
In the event the above conditions are met by the dates indicated, the Milestone board shall sign a charter school contract, acceptable to the Board, on or before April 1, 2017, unless the applicant and the Board agree to extend that date. The contract shall reflect a resolution of the above issues as well as all other required and recommended terms negotiated with District representatives. In the event the Board determines that an acceptable contract has not been executed by April 1, 2017, or such date as may have been extended as provided herein, the charter school application shall be deemed denied by the Board on the date of such determination. In no event shall the Board action described herein be construed as a revocation of a purported charter or school contract.
Approved this 16th day of August, 2016.
DOUGLAS COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT RE-1
BOARD OF EDUCATION
By: Meghann Silverthorn, President
By: Nona Eichelberger
Secretary, Board of Education