July 16, 2013 Board Briefing
The Douglas County Board of Education convened for business at 5:30 p.m. on July 16, 2013. The Board conducted business and engaged public comment from a crowd of students, parents, teachers, and community members.
Chief Operations Officer Bill Moffit and Director of Risk Assessment John Zimmerman presented the new school safety plan. Moffit and Zimmerman were joined by members of law enforcement. View the full presentation here.
After the tragic events at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December of 2012, DCSD officials met with members of the law enforcement community to review current safety plans and make recommendations to improve an already strong program.
The result of those meetings was the creation of the DCSD Safety Committee. The Safety Committee has met throughout the spring to develop recommendations. New school safety measures are part of a “layered approach” to ensuring safe schools. The measures include building enhancements and the School Marshal Program.
Following the presentation on school safety. Members of the Board of Education voted unanimously to approve intergovernmental agreements with Douglas County law enforcement agencies.
Interim Chief Technology Officer Laura Hilstrom and the DCSD IT team presented an update on a significant technology tool for teachers, InspirED Innovation. Second Grade teacher Mary Lisa Blevins joined the presentation and provided a teacher’s perspective. Blevins praised the tool as a help to teacher.
Assistant Superintendent Chris Cutter presented an update on CITE (Continuous Improvement of Teacher Effectiveness) and LEAD (Leadership Effectiveness through Analysis and Data). View the full presentation here.
The Board of Education engaged in public comment with members of the community.
Adoption of Consent Agenda
Board members voted by a margin of 5-0 to adopt items on the Consent Agenda.
Approved items on the consent agenda included:
- Adoption of Consent Agenda: Staff recommendations, detailed in Agenda Items 18 -24, organized for Board of Education block approval.
- Participation in the State Treasurer’s Interest Free Loan Program.
- Textbook Approval for the 2013-2014 School Year. “Active Chemistry Project-Based Inquiry Approach” by Arthur Eisenkraft, Ph.D. Developed in Association with AIChE, American Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- Board of Education Resolution to Renew a Charter Contract with Academy Charter School.
- Amendment to DCSD/Hope Online Learning Academy Co-Op Charter School Contract.
- Legal Notice – Call for Nominations for School Board Director Election
- Unofficial Board of Education Minutes
- Personnel Changes
- Members of the Board of Education voted unanimously to pass a resolution clarifying the Common Core in DCSD.